Garlic soup is a jewel of Spanish cuisine. Also known as Castilian soup, this delicious dish has its origin in the Castilla area. Furthermore, it is known that the shepherds of this region created it because they needed a dish that would warm them on the cold winter nights and that also gave them a good dose of energy.
Being a popular dish, the way to prepare it varies according to the area, the home, or even according to the preferences of the person who cooks it. But for sure, the common point is that with basic ingredients that can be found in any pantry (garlic, egg, some meat, a little oil …) we will elaborate a consistent, tasty and healthy dish.
Thus, here we present our favorite recipe. However, remember that cooking is about creativity and feel free to innovate and add more ingredients if you find them suitable.
What do we need to prepare garlic soup?
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 150 g of candeal bread or similar
- 100 g of chorizo
- 4 garlic cloves (Imperio Garlic, to ensure the best quality;))
- 4 egg yolks (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of sweet Spanish paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil
To make the broth:
- 1/2 kg of carcass or chicken wings
- 400 g of ham tips or bone
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 3 or 4 branches of parsley
How to make Castilian soup, let’s go!
- First, we collect all the ingredients of the broth in a fast pot. Next, we cover it with water (between liter and liter and a half) and we cook it for about an hour. We let it cool down, then we strain and degrease it with a spoon (fat floats on the surface, so it’s easy to remove it to make sure it’s a healthy dish).
- Second, we brown the garlic cloves (the real stars of this recipe!) in abundant oil (about 6 tablespoons) over low heat. We remove them and reserve them for later.
- Third, in the same oil, we saute the chorizo cut into thin slices. Again, we remove and reserve.
- Fourth, we toast the sliced bread in the same oil.
- Fifth, we sprinkle the sweet Spanish paprika on top, mix and saute a few seconds. Quickly, we add the broth, garlic and chorizo and boil softly between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Second-to-last, we correct salt and add an egg yolk per person in each bowl (optional).
- Fianlly, the most important step: We take the spoon and enjoy😉
As you have seen, making garlic soup is very simple. In addition, it is a healthy dish, because it contains proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins. Like a Swiss Army knife of Spanish cuisine! And remember that not only your palate will be happy, but your whole body: the benefits of garlic assure us that this recipe will provide all kinds of advantages for our health. Therefore, from Imperio Garlic we recommend you to go to the market, pick the above mentioned ingredients and enjoy the pleasure of cooking 😉